The Student News Site of La Sierra High School

The Eagle's Quill Online

The Eagle's Quill Online

The Eagle's Quill Online

The Controversies of School Mascots

What impact do School Mascots bring?

School Mascots have been around since the 1880s and have evolved throughout the years. Caricatures have also developed to be more creative and have been designed more freely. However, there have been suggested topics surrounding these mascots. Here at La Sierra High School, our mascot is the Eagle. 

School mascots have a huge range when it comes down to what they represent, their design, or personality. Students at La Sierra have their own opinions of school mascots, so what do they think of school mascots?

Junior Shayanne Barke-Castro said, “I think they’re cool. They represent the school and it makes the school like stand out more”

Although most opinions seem to be positive, there have been controversies surrounding school mascots, may it be with offensive behavior or their design. This then brings the question, to what extent does a school mascot become offensive?

“If it’s like blatantly racist or if it’s like, I don’t know, sort of graphic,” junior Leon Brayan said. 

As years have gone by, school mascots have only been changing or improving for the better. After learning about certain opinions, what do students think of our school mascot here at La Sierra?

Senior Alexis Ruelas said, “I think our mascot is pretty cool, he seems to be fine. I mean who doesn’t like an eagle you know?”