The Student News Site of La Sierra High School

The Eagle's Quill Online

The Eagle's Quill Online

The Eagle's Quill Online

Theresa Copple: the CEC’s 2024 Teacher of the Year

Lets+Go+Learns+CEO+and+Co-founder+Richard+Capone+%28left%29+and+Theresa+Copple+%28right%29%2C+smiling+for+photos.+
Yohanna Yonas
Let’s Go Learn’s CEO and Co-founder Richard Capone (left) and Theresa Copple (right), smiling for photos.

(01/31/24  9:42 AM)  CORRECTION:

In the initial article, we stated that Theresa Copple was one of three teachers in California to be awarded the 2024 Teacher of the Year Award when in fact she was the only teacher to receive this award from the CEC. This article has been changed to reflect this correction.

On Friday, January 26, 2024 deaf and hard-of-hearing itinerary teacher, Theresa Copple, was awarded the 2024 Teacher of the Year Award from the Council for Exceptional Children, a national organization that advocates for teachers working in the Special Education department. Members from the CEC and Let’s Go Learn, a company dedicated to providing K-12 students educational support, including Copple’s co-workers, friends and family attended the surprise awards ceremony. 

Copple has worked with deaf and hard of hearing students since she was sixteen years old and has developed this passion into a career. As a deaf and hard of hearing teacher, Copple serves several schools in the Alvord Unified School District. Some of her work involves working one-on-one with deaf students about their hearing loss. 

“I really enjoy working one-on-one with students about their hearing loss, [and] having them become advocates for themselves, getting their equipment to work so that they can listen better not only in the classroom but also in the lunchroom and when they’re out with their friends,” she said. 

Additionally, Copple uplifts her students beyond the classroom. For the past thirteen years, she has been nominating her students for the National CEC’s Yes I Can Awards. Last fall, her fifth grade student, Chema Romo, was selected as one of the twelve award recipients and plans on attending the CEC Special Education Convention and Expo in San Antonio, Texas. Copple will also travel to San Antonio to officially be presented her award later this spring.

When asked about her thoughts and emotions about receiving the award, she said, “I’m super excited. I’m also a little nervous because I’m used to being in the background and having my students up on stage and promoting them.”

Copple also credited her friend and co-worker, Kathleen Tejeda from La Sierra High School, who nominated her for this award, saying she, “Couldn’t paddle the canoe without her.” 

Likewise, Copple extended her thanks and gratitude to those who granted her this opportunity.

“I definitely would like to thank Kathleen Tejeda from La Sierra, CEC and Let’s Go Learn who has made this possible. And I’d like to thank all my students, being able to work with them.”

1/26/24  Story by Yohanna Yonas